Sunday, 2 March 2014

Right after left

OK, left rear quarter done.  Had a bit of fun moving her to the other side of the garage so that I can get to the other side more easily.  Did you know she's huge, and driving in the twilight with a fogged over windshield and no brakes is not perse the wisest move?  But certainly fun :-)

Right rear quarter: pretty much in the same shape as the left rear was.  See below.

Tried to remove the rear spring, but the front bolt won't come out of its bush.  Everything I could do was done, but all that happens is that the cage is forced out.  Well, something about Moses and mountains then: disassembled the leaf spring in place, painted, and ready to refit.

Body work is progressing here as well, running board (yes RAG, they truly are wood!) repainted, new support made, etc.  The welding is going to be fun with all the horse hair on the other side of this thin sheet metal.

Timespan: should finish this quarter in the next 6 weeks, save perhaps the wing itself.  The shrinker/stretcher I bought is certainly a great improvement to hours and hours of hammering!

Sunday, 3 November 2013

Left rear quarter complete

Getting there...

And the 'finished' product: left rear quarter complete:
The spare wheel lid hasn't been on this car since before I got it :-)


Monday, 29 July 2013

Left rear quarter

My carpenter came over last weekend - either I didn't give him enough or too much beer...
Anyway, these pieces hold the spare wheel lid and are thoroughly rotten. 

While waiting for the carpenter to sleep off his hangover, I've replaced loads of rust with new sheet metal and a first bit of paint.  Almost all sheet metal in the rear quarter, i.e. boot floor (three layers), inner wheel well, and the outside panel have been replaced.

Without wooden supports:

And with the wooden supports back in place:

Inside the trunk, showing the tools storage bay with new floor.  While grinding off excess welds, this caused a bit of a fire - a spark must have somehow gotten to the inside of the rear seat upholstery and started causing a bit of smoke there.  It took 10 liters of water to kill it....

The wing is progressing slowly, lots of fittings and adjustments but starting to look good!

Friday, 12 July 2013

New supplies and toys

Work's still ong, but in the mean time I've picked up a few pieces of ash.  Hope my faithful sidekick with much more feeling for woodworking than I have is back soon!
And some new toys (uhhh tools).  The lowest plyers are specially designed for (un)folding the doorskin around the frame and work like magic!  Shame I only bought them after already having done two doors.  Guess I need more cars ;-)

Monday, 3 June 2013

Left rear fender Mk3

The inner fender now mostly done, it's time to tackle the fender/wing itself.  Most people would consider this a lost cause, and rightly so...  It's pretty horrific:

Plan of attack: first make a new mounting plate.  Now that the inner fender is repaired, this can be bolted onto the car and in that way, provide the exact shape the fender should follow.  After that, I'll repair the fender bit by bit.  The toughest bit seems to me to be the curved edge at the bottom of the wing. 
The front wings have a wire edge, the rear wings both have a more simple curved edge.  I wonder which is authentic...

I can't help doing several things at the same time.  I've already been working on removing the *bleep* window winder...
to be able to remove the door card to get at this:
The rod connecting the door to the pillar has been bent out of the way for ages, and the spring loaded mechanism behind it apparently jammed.  I'll get to it, just give me time!

Tuesday, 30 April 2013

Register status

For some specific Marks I've been trying to keep a detailed record of the extant cars.  Current number of cars that I know or believe to still be around:

Humber Pullman Mark II: 8
Humber Pullman Mark III: 16
Humber Pullman Mark IV: 5

Humber Super Snipe Mark II: 21
Humber Super Snipe Mark III: 28

If you have a Humber I'd like to hear about it!